Southwest of England, lies Devon, a stunning city with a spectacular coastline, mild climate, and beautiful beaches. Aside from agriculture, Devon’s economy is also based on tourism.
Are you new to Devon and searching for affordable health insurance? Well, we are here to help you. Your health is very important and searching for ways to secure it is also important as well as prudent.
There are also cases where companies offer health insurance to their workers as part of their benefits. Let’s take a better look at public and private healthcare services.
Public Healthcare Service In Devon
In England, Devon inclusive, healthcare services are offered free to all individuals through the NHS – National Health Service.
The public health service is the most common and most affordable and a vast majority of residents living in Devon use the NHS.
Launched in July 1948, the National Health Service is the first health system to be funded by general taxation and not based on insurance.
The NHS views health as a right and one of its principles is for residents to gain access to healthcare services at the point of need and not on their ability to pay.
The NHS reduces the cost of healthcare to a minimum through the services they provide. But, the NHS has been plagued by some challenges, most of them as a result of underfunding. One of them is long waiting lists and many residents opt for private health to avoid it.
Services Provided By Public Healthcare
Individuals, ordinarily resident in Devon are entitled to the following health care services. The NHS has extensive coverage and its services include;
- Accident and emergency treatment
- Maternity services
- Treatment for minor injuries
- Treatment with a specialist when referred by a General Practitioner or qualified health professional
- Sexual health services and contraception
Services Not Covered By Public Healthcare
Certain treatments are not covered by the NHS and require payment. Residents in Cheshire are required to pay for;
- Eye treatment
- Dental treatment
- Prescription drugs
- Wigs and fabric support
- Pre-existing Medical conditions which existed previously before you arrived in the UK
Regardless of the type of medication and quantity you need for treatment, all prescriptions have a fixed price in the UK.
The current prescription charge is 9 GBP ( 11.50 USD). You can buy your medications from chemists. Pharmacies are commonly called chemists.
While all patients are entitled to hospital treatment and your GP, who is a general practitioner, is your first point of contact when you have health issues, he must refer you if it’s not an emergency. You would be able to book appointments for free once you are registered with a GP in Devon.
There are various ways you can book your appointments. They include;
- Or in person i.e scheduling an appointment at the reception
- Via phone
Other Public Health Services In Devon
A GP is a general practice doctor who treats acute and chronic illnesses and refers patients to hospitals and other medical services for specialist treatment.
When you have minor ailments or distresses you do not always have to visit your GP. certain services are available that could offer great help and do not require you to book an appointment.
- Pharmacists are licensed medical professionals that are qualified to give advice on minor health issues that do not necessarily require a prescription. For instance sore throats, stomach aches, and minor burns.
- You can call NHS 111 when you have a pressing medical issue that is not life-threatening. You will be able to speak to trained personnel that would give you instructions on what to do next.
- In Devon, sexual health services and contraception are free and available to every individual. You can visit any of the sexual health centers to get tested for sexually transmitted infections or contraception advice as the case may be.
Private Health Insurance In Devon
While most people living in Devon are covered by the NHS, some individuals prefer to opt for private health insurance or combine both. Private policies are generally expensive but they also have great sides to them.
They provide more specialized healthcare services, they have better infrastructures and no waiting lists. If you can afford private health and you weren’t offered coverage by your employer or you require more services than those the NHS offers, you can buy a private health policy.
Most residents in Devon often use the National Health Service(NHS), but if you choose to get treated privately without having private insurance, bear in mind that it can be really pricey, especially for severe health challenges.
Individuals living in Devon usually have private health insurance only for one of the following reasons below:
- They want to avoid long waiting times
- Their company provides it as part of an employee benefit package;
- They want to have more control over the medical treatments they receive.
Benefits Of Private Health Insurance In Devon
Although private health is expensive, it has some great advantages;
- No waiting lists
- Faster and easier access to diagnosis and treatment
- Private health insurance takes the pressure that comes with the NHS while offering you peace of mind
- Ability to choose the consultant you want
- It gives you the ability to choose the hospital convenient for you
Factors Affecting Premiums On Private Health Insurance
Some factors play a key role in determining your rates. These factors can either raise or lower the amount you pay for premiums. They include;
- Current or pre-existing medical condition
- Chosen benefits
- Lifestyle behaviors like smoking and alcohol consumption
Average Cost Of Health Insurance
Some private health policies exclude maternity services, mental health, emergency care, and general practice.
Healthcare providers in Devon cost premiums on the claims made by certain groups of people which is usually influenced by place of residency and age.
The premium price for health insurance is 1,450 GBP (1,900 USD)per year on average. However, your actual premium cost depends on various factors.
Types Of Health Insurance Plans
Health insurance plans are categorized into two; Moratorium and Full Medical Underwriting.
Moratorium excludes pre-existing health conditions that you have suffered from in the past five years.
- Full Medical Underwriting(FMU)
Similar to the Moratorium, the FMU excludes health conditions you have suffered from in the last five years. But your insurer may start covering you for that condition after 2 years on the policy.
Private Health Insurance Costs
Prices of health insurance policies vary from company to company but below are some estimates, ranges, and averages for health insurance:
- Consultations: Around 200 GBP, which is 250 USD
- Surgical procedures: Ranges from 1,000 GBP (1,300 USD) to 10,000 GBP(13,000 USD)
Private Health Insurance Providers In Devon
There are numerous private health insurers in Devon. We have listed a few below;
- Devon Partnership NHS Trust
- Mount Stuart Hospital
- Nuffield Health Exeter Hospital
- Ramsay Health care
- Blackberry Clinic Exeter- Bupa Health Centre
Undoubtedly, healthcare is very important. The most affordable way to get coverage is through the public healthcare service.
It is extensive, providing wide coverage of healthcare services but has some limitations.
On the other hand, private health services are more expensive but cancel out all the limitations of public healthcare, offering more specialized services and having better healthcare facilities.
Both services are good but the best and most affordable for you would depend on your needs and preferences.
Online, there are many comparison sites that can help you make informed decisions if you choose private health.