Best Ways To Get Affordable Health Insurance in Newcastle

If you live in Newcastle you are entitled to free healthcare through the National Health Service  ( NHS ). 

In Newcastle, the condition of being insured in the British Public Health Service is acquired because of residence and no registration in the Social Security system.

In principle, those persons who meet the condition of habitual residents in the country have the right to be users of the System.

European citizens legally residing before December 31, 2020, as well as their relatives, will be entitled to free NHS assistance provided that before June 30, 2021, they request settled status by British regulations. They must register under the EU Settlement Scheme.

If you arrive in the UK with a visa, you will have to pay an Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) as part of your visa application and you will be able to access NHS services.

Read also:

The UK will cover healthcare for the first three months of life for babies born in the country whose parents have been legally resident in the country for more than six months. The Government requires parents to have a visa of more than six months duration and to apply for a visa for their newborn child.

If you do not have health insurance you will be charged 150% of the NHS standard rate for any care you receive.

Each region of the UK has its own NHS body. The differences between the regional health services are mainly structural and here is how some of the services are provided;

GP record

To receive medical care in Newcastle you need to register with a GP ( General Practice-GP ). You can choose your GP although they have some autonomy in whether or not to accept patients if they don’t live in the local area or if the practice is too crowded. In this case, you should try to register with another GP in the area.

Hospital care

You will generally need a referral from your GP for most hospital treatment, except in emergencies.
Hospital treatment is free if you are a Newcastle resident.
The services and treatments listed below are free to all NHS Hospitals in England, including overseas visitors:

  • A&E services, but not emergency treatment once you’ve been hospitalized
  • Family planning services. But not  pregnancy termination or  infertility treatment
  • Treatment for most infectious diseases, including sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
  • Treatments for a physical or mental condition caused by torture,  female genital mutilation, domestic violence, or sexual violence. This does not apply if you have come to England to seek this treatment unless you have applied for, or been granted, asylum status.

Emergency Services (A & E), Urgent Care Centers (Walk-in center), or Minor injury unit

A&E (Accident and Emergency)
: Deals with life-threatening emergencies such as loss of consciousness, chest pain, shortness of breath, severe bleeding, severe allergic reactions, severe burns, etc. Not all hospitals have an A&E department.

Walk-in Centre and Minor injury unit:  for urgent but non-fatal medical care such as sprains, cuts, bites and stings, ear and throat infections, skin infections and rashes, eye problems, coughs and colds, high temperature in children and adults, stomach pain, vomiting, etc.

S1 Certificate

If you are legally living in the UK before 31 December 2020 and you are an S1 certificate holder, for example, because you receive a state pension or certain ‘exportable’ benefits from your country, or if you are a frontier worker (someone living in an EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, and you work in the UK) you will be able to access NHS healthcare as long as you continue to habitually reside in the country.
You will need to register your S1 certificate in the UK to access NHS care in the same way as an ordinarily resident person:
Overseas Healthcare Services

NHS Business Services Authority. Bridge House,152 Pilgrim Street. Newcastle upon Tyne. NE1 6SN


If you don’t have an S1 certificate, you can apply for it when you reach state pension age, provided you continue to reside in the UK.

You can request it from the Social Security of the country (competent authority of the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, or Switzerland in matters of health insurance).


Pharmacists are drug experts who can help you with minor health problems. As health professionals can offer clinical advice and over-the-counter medications for minor ailments such as coughs, colds, sore throats, stomach problems, and aches and pains.
If symptoms suggest something more serious, pharmacists have the proper training to make sure you get the help you need. For example, they will tell you if you need to see a GP, nurse, or other health professional.
For some types of medicine, you will need a prescription from your NHS doctor.

Health Care Costs – Prescriptions

In the United Kingdom,m there is no co-payment for medical or hospital care, except for dental care, where you must pay fixed amounts per treatment established annually by the Department of Health.

For prescriptions,s you will have to pay a fixed amount (currently £9.35 per prescription, regardless of the price of the medicine, unless you are exempt from paying.

If you need a large number of prescriptions, it may be cheaper to buy a prescription prepayment certificate ( PPC ). A PPC covers all your NHS prescriptions, including NHS dental prescriptions, no matter how many items you need.

There are special conditions for chronic patients or those who need a significant number of prescriptions, for which maximum quarterly or annual limits are set.

A series of groups are exempt from this copayment, such as those over 60 years of age, under 16 (18 if they are students), pregnant women (or who have given birth in the previous twelve months), and if they receive any benefit conditional on income.

Prescriptions Issued by another Country

As of January 1, 2021, a prescription issued in an EEA member state (EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway) or Switzerland can be dispensed in the UK if the prescriber belongs to a recognized profession that has the legal right to issue such a prescription in the country in which the prescription is issued.

Pharmacists dispensing a prescription from the EEA or Switzerland must first check:

  • Who issues the prescription and checks whether the prescribers practicing a profession recognized by the UK in that country. See the  list of approved countries and professions
  • The prescriber’s name and contact details (including work address, email address, and telephone or fax number with the appropriate international prefix) must be provided. Also indicate the country in which the prescription was issued.
  • You can also contact the competent authority in the country where the prescription was issued to verify the prescriber’s registration and whether he or she is authorized to write such a prescription in that country.

If the prescription is from a country or prescriber that is not on the list, you should not fill the prescription and instead use your professional expertise to assist the patient.

This does not affect your right to exercise professional discretion to refuse to fill a prescription if any of the following apply:

  • would not normally be dispensed in the UK
  • there are doubts about its authenticity
  • there are concerns about the clinical suitability of the drugs for that patient
  • would cause health and safety problems.

Leave a Reply