Are you interested in pursuing an education in the USA? We are glad to inform you that Mosaic Scholarship is an ongoing application for International Students at the Society of American Archivists. Keep reading as we discuss the scholarship, its worth, eligibility, and application process.
The Mosaic Scholarship provides financial and mentoring support to students of color pursuing graduate education in archival science, urges students to pursue a career as an archivist, and enhance the diversification of the American archives profession.
The scholarship is awarded to candidates who display excellent potential for scholastic and personal achievement and who manifest a commitment both to the archives profession and to advancing diversity concerns within it.
Established by the SAA Council in August 2008 to promote SAA’s Diversity Strategic Priority. The Society of American Archivists is the oldest and largest archivist association in North America, serving the educational and informational needs of over 5,000 individual archivists and institutional members.
Established in 1936, the organization serves upwards of 6,200 individual and member institutions. The Society also supports its members and the archival profession through strong publication and professional workshop programs and semi-annual meetings.
Currently, workshops are given all across the United States and attend to current archival concerns and issues like Encoded Archival Description, the digitizing of archival materials, and preservation and conservation of materials, among others.
However, the programs it offers include: Online On-Demand Programs, Online Real-Time Programs, and Face to Face Programs
Worth of Mosaic Scholarship
- As the SAA and SAA Foundation budgets cover up to two scholarships of $5,000 each.
- Each Mosaic Scholarship candidate receives a one-year complimentary membership in the Society of American Archivists and complimentary registration to the Society’s Annual Meeting for the year in which the scholarship is received.
Eligibility for Mosaic Scholarship
- To be qualified for Mosaic Scholarship, you must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or Canada.
- You must be of American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian, Black/African American, Hispanic/Latinx, Middle Eastern/North African, or Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander descent to be eligible for the scholarship.
- Each applicant must be currently enrolled in a graduate program or a multi-course program in archival administration, or have applied to such a program for the next academic year. Note that the graduate program must offer at least three courses in archival science or be listed in the current SAA Directory of Archival Education. So if the program is not listed in the SAA Directory of Archival Education, the student must provide evidence of the three-course standard by submitting copies of course descriptions from the institution’s current course catalog.
- You must have completed no more than half of the credit requirements toward her/his graduate degree at the time of award (i.e., June 1).
- Each candidate must be enrolled in a graduate program and start school no later than September 1 or the fall semester/quarter immediately following the award.
- Students may have full-time or part-time statuses.
- You must have submitted a 500-word report to the SAA Council after completion of the second semester.
Requirements for Mosaic Scholarship
- A cover letter stating interest in the scholarship and how the candidate meets eligibility requirements.
- An Official transcript from the candidate’s most recent academic program. Note that you need to allow enough time to get transcripts by the application deadline,
- An Essay of not more than 500 words stating the applicant’s interest in the archives profession as well as how they would improve diversity concerns within it.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Note that you need to notify your references ahead of time as your references will need to upload their letters of recommendation to your online form by the application deadline.
How to Apply for Mosaic Scholarship
If you are interested in Mosaic Scholarship and eligible for the scholarship, visit the university’s official website to apply.
Application Deadline for Mosaic Scholarship
The application deadline for the scholarship is February 28, 2022.
Official Website: Click here
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other USA Scholarships here