The South African-German Centre for Development Research is taking applications for the DAAD/DRD scholarships for candidates from Sub-Saharan African nations in Germany and South Africa in 2022.
DAAD/DRD Scholarships are obtainable for full-time candidates of the MA in Development Studies, the MA in Development Management, the Master in Public Administration, the various PhD options at the center (PhD UWC).
According to the South African-German Centre for Development Research, to properly groom the next generation of leaders via research-focused training, it is not enough to have the possibility to grant scholarship awards to promising applicants from all around Sub-Saharan Africa, but it is also important to keep a strong research concentration on the work of the centre and to cooperate closely with other foremost schools in the region.
Apart from full scholarship awards for involvement in one of the above-listed programmes, a number of mobility scholarship awards for Master’s degree students are obtainable each year. These scholarship awards are targeted at financing a study period in Germany. During such a study period overseas, scholarship beneficiaries can take part in a Summer School at Ruhr-Univeristy Bochum, finish an internship with a German establishment working in the field associated with their studies or they can visit Ruhr-Univeristy Bochum during the conclusion phase of their Master Thesis for rigorous supervision periods.
Worth of DAAD/DRD Scholarships
DAAD/DRD Scholarships include;
- Monthly allowances of 650 Euro
- Travel stipends for Master’s scholars and 900 Euro
- Travel allowances for PhD candidates.
- Tuition and registration fees are provided by the Scholarship award Program.
- More details about the conditions for application and application process is provided below.
Eligibility for DAAD/DRD Scholarships
Scholarship award candidates are advised to carefully read about the particular entry requirements and course application process of the program of their choice;
- Candidates are required to be from Sub-Sahara Africa
- Candidates are required to possess an outstanding academic record – minimum of 70% for your last degree
- Candidates are required to apply within 6 years of having finished their last degree
- The study should have been concluded at a globally recognised school
- The last degree (Baccalaureus or Master) must have been an academic discipline which is related to Development Studies or Public Administration
- South African students are expected to have an honours degree in order to be granted admission to a Master’s degree program. Other candidates require the equivalent of a 4 year undergraduate degree program.
- Candidates are required to provide proof of proficiency in English, both written and spoken. This can be TOEFL test or an English test similar to it, or a letter from an educational institution
- Work and/or voluntary experience in your area of interest would be an acceptable recommendation
- Women are encouraged to apply
- South African scholars are encouraged to apply
- Candidates are required to be able to study fulltime at the UWC for the specified period.
How to Apply for DAAD/DRD Scholarships
- You will be required to complete the electronic application form.
- Applications not using this e-form will not be given consideration! As the e-form can only be submitted once, please ensure that your application is complete prior to submitting it!
Documents that have to be submitted when using the e-form are:
- A letter of application
- A CV: Please make use of the Europass CV form obtainable here
- An academic transcript from your last university
- Certified copies of all academic certificates
- MA candidates will have to write a one-page paper about 1 of 3 various topics, available in the “How to apply” section of each Master Program
- PhD candidates do not write an essay but are required to submit a 5-page proposal on the research they wish to undertake for the thesis.
- This must comprise their research question, the research methodology and a (draft) theoretical framework.
- A list of topics is provided in the PhD section.
The application ends on November 30, 2021.
Visit here for more details and to apply
Not interested in DAAD/DRD Scholarships? See other scholarships here